Monday, April 22, 2013

LA FERIA!

La feria de abril is a festival in Spain and there is one in Sevilla every year. It was such a fun week of no classes and lots of activities! The festival starts at midnight on Monday night with the lighting up of the main entrance (this year it was designed to look like the Plaza de España). Tuesday I went with my host parents to their daughters "caseta" (tent) to have some tapas and drinks for lunch. We also got to ride in their horse drawn carriage around the festival for a bit.  Feria is like walking into a completely different city that only comes for a week. It was so beautiful and colorful! All the women are dressed up in flamenco dresses and everyone is dancing, drinking, socializing and enjoying life.  Wednesday I got to dress up in a flamenco dress with my host mom and her daughter! It was so neat, but also extremely hot with such high temps this past week! Thursday I went to Matalascañas which is a beach in Huelva with two friends. It was the perfect day to just relax on the beach after two full days of feria! On friday I left to visit the spanish family that hosted me during my study abroad experience in Summer 2010 (new post to come!). When I got back on Sunday, I worked on some homework, then met up with a friend to go see the fireworks at midnight which is the end of feria.  We stopped by a pub for a mojito on the way, then watched the fireworks from a bridge that crosses the Guadalquivir River. Such an amazing week! Can't believe I only have 3 weeks left!
In my flamenco dress in
front of the "caseta"
           
the beach in Matalascañas, Huelva
Mojito time before
fireworks

No comments:

Post a Comment